Company DescriptionCarbonCure Technologies is an award-winning Canadian clean technology company leading a global mission to reduce the carbon footprint of the built environment. CarbonCure is striving to achieve 500 megatonnes of annual carbon dioxide (CO₂) emissions reductions through the standardization of CO₂ utilization in concrete production. Our CO₂ mineralization technology is proudly manufactured in Halifax, Nova Scotia. CarbonCure was named the Cleantech Group Global 100’s Top North American Company in 2020 and is a finalist in the global NRG COSIA Carbon XPRIZE competition.
The Research and Development Scientist will join the research team to explore the linkage between the material science of cement and concrete and the reaction chemistry of CO₂ with the intent to further the development of CarbonCure’s various technologies. Under the direction of the SVP Technology Development the candidate will actively identify and carry out various laboratory projects and research aimed at developing specific technology objectives, which contribute to the overall success of CarbonCure and offer the best potential for commercial success and financial sustainability. Activities are in support of CarbonCure’s mission to achieve 500 megatonnes of annual CO₂ emissions reductions through the industry standardization of CO₂ utilization in concrete production.
- Advanced technical/scientific degree (MSc or PhD) in a field such as: Engineering, Chemistry or Chemical Engineering.
- Experience in the characterisation, design and development of construction materials, ideally in combination with a thorough knowledge of cement and binder chemistry preferred.
- Experience in specimen preparation of construction materials using cementitious materials.
- Experience in cement hydration, cement-admixture interactions, and concrete performance.
- Machine learning experience is an asset.
- Experience with thermogravimetric analysis, quantitative x-ray analysis and isothermal calorimetry is an asset.
- Expertise in advanced materials characterization techniques demonstrated by publication records.
- Strong analytical skills, and proven experience in designing and execution of experiments to test clearly stated research hypotheses.
- An ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- An interest in working in a fast-paced research environment.
- Excellent writing, presentation and communication skills.
- Creative mind, eager to turn new process concepts into practice and to demonstrate their technical feasibility.
- A passion for positive and meaningful environmental change, and technical innovation within a global industry.
- Comfortable interacting and presenting research findings to internal stakeholders.
- Strong organizational skills and multi-tasking abilities, and a natural inclination to think outside the box.
- Motivated, energetic team player that enjoys an entrepreneurial, collaborative work environment.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Excellent time management skills, written and oral communication skills.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada, if on Work Visa please share details in a cover letter.
- Work with the CarbonCure technical and/or engineering team to identify research projects and develop comprehensive work plans.
- Manage and carry out research projects that combine or modify cement and concrete materials in different ways to improve the performance, durability and cost-effectiveness of processes and products for CarbonCure.
- Analyze data using appropriate methods, including computer software, if required.
- Document results in comprehensive, well-written updates and project reports.
- Maintain communications with external research groups.
- Make creative and innovative recommendations for future research efforts based on observations, data and knowledge.
- Identify other areas for opportunity and propose research projects aligned with company goals.
- Working in a laboratory environment
- Strong level of independence in the role
- Comply with Health, Safety, & Environmental policies and procedures appropriate for the laboratory.
This is a 6 month term position based at the company head office in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. The term of the role may be extended based on the needs of the company.
Our team is made up of energetic entrepreneurially-minded individuals who are passionate about collaborating with our concrete producer customers to drive meaningful solutions to combat climate change. Besides being dedicated to our mission, we believe in work-life balance and an active involvement in the local community. We value integrity and accountability, and our core values include high performance, collaboration, straight-talk, and continued innovation.
Please send all resumes and enquiries to at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest, please note only those selected for an interview will be contacted.